Wednesday, July 9, 2008

What is Enough?

"Human wants are unlimited" was the starting sentence in my 8th grade Economics textbook. That sentence has stuck with me. Incidentally I keep running into situations that remind me of that human frailty more and more. Here is an example that epitomizes this conundrum.

Abu Dhabi businessman Saeed Khouri made headlines and the Guinness Book of World Records when he paid $14 million for the tag simply sporting a "1." His cousin, stockbroker Talal Khouri, paid $9 million for "5" -- the second-largest sum ever paid for a license plate.
WSJ - Read My License Plate: It Cost Me a Fortune

I guess the pertinent question which we struggle with comes down to - what is enough? Enough ambition, enough money, enough power, enough status...



If you enjoyed this post, consider subscribing to a full RSS feed or get regular updates via email.

No comments: